Duke TIP: Part 1

11:32 PM 0 Comments A+ a-


I have the honor of participating in the Duke University TIP eStudies program this year! Let me tell you how it's going so far!


Of course, I can't tell you too much. That's against the privacy policy. Anyway, I enrolled in the Short Story Workshop course, and it's been going amazingly.

After I finished NaNoWriMo, I felt drained. I couldn't write, couldn't read, couldn't do anything. I mean, I don't blame myself. I had just written 62,000 words in a month. I was allowed to be tired. My problem, however, was that I couldn't start myself back up again. Not until maybe around February or March.

It was then that my aunt introduced me to the Duke TIP program. She and my mother had participated when they were my age, and my aunt thought it would be a great thing for me to do. You see, my mother always makes me do a workbook called the Summer Bridge Book. I've since grown out of it, and had been looking for something to do.

The only problem with this program was that it needed an ACT score. So, my father and I rushed down to Nagoya and took the test. All I did were a few practice tests. I didn't really study for it. In the end, my composite score was a 23. That is a pretty good score for a person who isn't supposed to take the ACT for a few more years.

After applying, we waited and waited, until I got this package in the mail. It was my course materials. I got in! I really didn't think I would be able to.

The course is essentially based around a set of work that you need to do. There are two live sessions (think conference calls) each week where you discuss the work that you do.

I'm only in week 3, so I can't tell you that much more, but I can tell you that this is an amazing opportunity. At the end of the 7 week term, I'll write another post that goes more indepth about the course itself.

Cheers, DFTBA, and Good Night.
Anna Grace