An Open Letter to a Prospective Partner

4:32 AM 0 Comments A+ a-



Hi y'all! I'm breaking my hiatus to give you a little musing on something that happened while I was on my trip.



Recently, I was asked via email to participate in a collaboration blog. The man was a reader of my blog, and I was very flattered by his offer for me to write for his blog. He said that I was one of his inspirations for making a blog in the first place, and I couldn't be happier that I've inspired somebody to start their own blog.

That being said, I have a few problems. I hope he takes this as constructive criticism, because that is how this post is meant.

My only problem with the partnership itself is the fact that I'm extremely busy these days. My last blog post here was in October or November. If I can barely support this blog, how can I write for another one?

My other concern is that the work that I would have to do would be more than my prospective partner.

I run my blog with zero expenses. I don't run ads. My prospective partner runs ads on his site. I understand that this is to pay for server space, but I don't understand what's so bad about the .blogspot suffix. All of my views I've gotten with my .blogspot suffix, and I haven't had to pay a single cent. A lot of these views are recurring readers. What I would suggest is starting with a .blogspot suffix and responsive template that he can customize to his liking. That way he can start off and when he gets a considerably sized readership, he can start experimenting with the site and different domain names.

Another thing is that English is my first language, and while my prospective partner has a good grasp of the language, there is much room for improvement. If one wants to run a blog primarily in English, they need a better grasp than he has of it. The emails and preview of his blog alone can tell me that. What I feel would happen if I took him up on his offer is that I would mention some of the mistakes in his grammar and I would get roped into fixing it all for him and becoming his editor. I don't have time for that.

I imagine this is how a shark on Shark Tank feels, except I'm more apologetic and insecure. 

There is nothing wrong with turning down opportunities. I don't feel like this is the right time for you to be coming to somebody for help. Sir, you haven't even scratched the surface of what you can do alone. You've shown me your credentials. You're quite talented and you can do more than you think you can.

I'm so sorry, sir, that I have to turn down your offer. Once you have a better start, or once you succeed in blogging, please come back to me and rub it in my face. Prove me wrong. I wish you all the best.

Cheers, DFTBA, and Good Night.
Anna Grace