Airplane Post 1: My Love-Hate Relationship With Travel

10:08 PM 0 Comments A+ a-

As I am currently in an airplane on my way to Seattle, and then on to Dallas, I feel like I should explain what typically happens when I go to the States. 


1. Planning - A General Mess In Itself
Planning generally starts a few months ahead of time. We talk about what we want to do and family obligations that we have. It’s a few months after we should have that we actually book the tickets. At least 5-10 things that we needed or wanted to get done in the States don’t get done. 

2. Plane Day - Business Time
Our family has a unique situation (Not really unique for expats, but bare with me.). My mother, younger brother, and I go to the States before my father does. We’re lucky really. Oftentimes families in our situation have schedules that don’t allow for the head of the family to join them. Anyway, my mother, brother, and I go to the airport, and we have a system that allows us to navigate the experience smoothly and quickly. 

3. Jet Lag - It’s WHAT time?
In the beginning, I never really had a problem with jet lag. Sure it kind of freaked me out for a few days after the plane day, but I was fine. These days I get more tired than I had in previous times. 
The funniest thing that ever happened with jet lag was when we were in Atlanta a few summers ago. My computer was locked on Korea time and I didn’t have my phone on me (I think it was with my mom). I was on my computer doing Khan Academy, when my mom barges (quietly) into the room. She asked me what time I thought it was, and I told her the truth. I thought it was 8 am. It was 3 am. Needless to say, I had to put the computer away and try to sleep. 

4. Sub-Travel - Most People Call it Domestic Travel

It’s at this point in the trip where we get on what feels like 15 different airplanes going to 30 different places and seeing 1,000,000 different family members and friends. Those days seem to blur together, and there’s not much I can do about it.

Cheers, DFTBA, and Good Morning(?)
Anna Grace