Planning The Plot Of My NaNoWriMo Novel? (NaNoWriMo Prep Day 2)

3:55 AM 0 Comments A+ a-


 


If you know anything about me, you'll know that I hate to plan my writing or outline my stories. It just doesn't make sense.



When you write something, whether it be a short story or a novel, you essentially become God of that story. Actually, you don't essentially become God. You literally become God. YOU control the characters. YOU create the setting. YOU can change the rules to suit your (or the character's) needs. So creating an outline in your writing is kind of like making a plan for an entire person's life, and that's no fun is it? When you create a character, that character is a person that you know better than they know themselves. You CREATED them, and out of what? A few thoughts and ideas? You gave these characters life, so shouldn't they be able to roam free?

The other side of this, is that I have to write 50,000 words in 30 days. That's about 1,667 words per day. So, an outline might be helpful.

 I don't want to spend the first 7 days of NaNoWriMo creating characters and the setting in addition to the plot and actual chapters themselves. Often, October is considered NaNo-prep month or as I like to call it: PlaNoWriMo. This means that I can create certain aspects of the novel that I have to write, but I can't write any of the actual novel. It's October 10th. That means that there are 21 days until NaNoWriMo. That's plenty of time to create good characters and a good setting!

So, to sum things up, we talked about a few pros and cons about creating an outline for stories. I'll talk to you guys later!

Cheers, DFTBA, and Good Night.
Anna Grace