Time Lords and Identities

9:48 PM 0 Comments A+ a-





Being an expat is kind of like being a Time Lord. You have these phases in your life where you get to travel and have all of these great experiences. Then, just when you think that you are all settled in and everything's fine, this HUGE change comes along that alters your life forever. Moving is that change. Moving is, in essence, regeneration.

It's painful, it's emotional, it has no regard for whatever friends you may have, and it leaves you a different person afterwards.

(Well, that's how it is for me. I'm a teenager. Maybe that has something to do with it...)


You can't just expect to be fine after you move. I had, well, have (we're still friends) a very tight knit group of friends that I had to leave in Korea. When I told them that I was moving to Japan, I broke my own heart. Then I made the mistake of looking up from the ground to see their expressions. Their expressions essentially took my already broken heart and smashed it with Mjolnir (Thor's Hammer. Look it up). 

I miss them so much. I would do anything to be with them. This, poses a problem with my family. You see, my Mom and Dad can't read my mind. So, I will appear really sad or mad or just plain pissed off and they will either think that I'm being moody or that I'm mad because they asked me to do something. 

In terms of chores, my parents don't make me do much. I clean the kitchen, I clean my room, and I use my common sense.  That and anything else they tell me to do. So, when they ask me to do something while I'm thinking about my friends, I generally get a really bad/dirty look on my face. After that, I generally get in trouble. 



It may just be me growing up, but I can't help but notice differences from when I lived in Korea and now.  Some subtle, some not so much.