CampNaNo16 Prep Day 2: The Plot

1:43 AM 0 Comments A+ a-



I have had friends who have wanted to do NaNoWriMo or Camp NaNoWriMo, but have been scared that they wouldn't finish or that they would run out of ideas. This is why, for me, planning is essential. That being said, I didn't really have a very elaborate plan for NaNo15. Of course, that's not saying that I didn't have a plan at all. I had a vague idea of where the story was going to go, and even if it's that bare, you still need some sort of plan. 

I started out with a base idea of my main character, who at this point is named, "Expat." All I know about her is that she's female, straight, and that she's lived in other places. Character development, for me, comes out through the plot. It may be different for you though. 

So, let's start with two documents. The first one will be where you actually write down the basic (or detailed) plot. The other is for elaboration (such as creating gifted programs, things that might not be obvious, things you'll forget, etc.).


So, now you're going to start brainstorming. When you come up with an idea, follow it and see where it leads. Something important to remember is that you are just writing a list of what would happen. You can't write the novel before your session (April, July, or November). What I suggest is that you choose the idea that goes the furthest in terms of the plot that you wrote out. Remember, you have to write this in a month, and it has to be at least 50,000 words long, so it needs to be viable. The idea that I ended up choosing was pretty viable and it interested me. That's another thing to remember. Write about something you know or something that you like. Nobody wants to have to write 50,000 words about something that they don't like. 

Until next time, dear readers.
Cheers, DFTBA, and Good Night.

Anna Grace