Moving to Japan: A Reflection of My Life So Far

7:45 PM 0 Comments A+ a-




A little bit of explanation on why I haven't been posting as often. Also some insight on my mind.



My life has been a series of moves from country to country, business assignment to business assignment, school to school. I'm going to miss South Korea. There's no doubt about that. However, I've never really had a home. Atlanta, Tokyo, Seoul, Texarkana; It's all the same isn't it? A place where I'll never fit in. A place where people will think that there's something wrong with me, aside from the expat community of course. People don't understand that I can't live in one place for long. To paraphrase a Zac Brown song, I've got a gypsy soul to blame and I was born for leaving. There's nothing I can do about it. It's just the way I am. If people don't want to accept it, that's their problem. It still does affect me though. I know that even among other expats, I am the odd one out. That's just how it is. I've learned to accept it.

Living overseas gives a person a different perspective on life. It's not always a good one though. Being a TCK has been awesome, but it's shown me how screwed up the world and society really is. For those of you who just thought: "The world is pretty awesome. I don't know what you are talking about." Take a look at the violence with ISIS and the Iraqis. Think about the student and elderly suicide rates in Asia. Remember 9/11. Sure we have iPhones and computers that double in computing capacity every 2 years, but we also have about 11.3% of people on Earth who are not getting enough to eat. You know what we also have? Enough food on Earth to feed 14,000,000,000 people. I see this, but many of my counterparts in America and the UK don't see this world. They see a world of Instagram and Twitter. Of affluence (compared to others). Despite all of this, there is a bright side that I can see. Hunger and death rates have been steadily dropping and people are becoming more aware of these problems.

Recently, I've just been really down. I don't know if it's depression, it's just as if someone flips a switch every so often. When the switch is flipped, I either won't be able to feel or I'll be very down/sad/cynical. My dad thinks that I act cynical because I've grown up in a cynical environment or because he's so cynical. What he doesn't know is that it's not him. Even when I'm happy I guess I have this resting cynical face. I just haven't been happy and it's really bothering me because I really want to be happy, but there are times when I just can't be happy.


Anybody who read my blog, I love you. You have indulged a girl who just wants to be heard, but doesn't want to be seen.


I don't know if any of this made any sense, but please comment if you have any questions.


Cheers, DFTBA, and Good Night.